My Youth Development Autobiography


As many may have an interesting beginning why they chose YDEV, it is not so with me. However, what is more important is the fact that I can proudly say I am grateful for that opportunity to find myself. Throughout my life, I looked more towards helping less privileged children. I wanted to become a doctor to aid to them. I held unto my dreams for as long as I could, but was not able to achieve my goals based on my fear for blood. After changing my major from Biology, I thought that my dreams came to an end. I started to work with youths and children outside of school, but I did not see it as being involve with children. From being a regular member in the youth department to the president for almost 8 years. My commitment with them did not stopped there. I took the initiative to supervise the children department. Yet it did not once occur that my actual goal is working with youths and children directly. I struggled in finding myself by moving from one major to the next.

 After many searches, I was referred to Youth Development without any clue of what it is. That was when my career search came to an end. Right after the referral, my story begin and it was certain the day I was enrolled into YDEV classes. 





Although I was enrolled into YDEV classes, I was still not sure if it is something I want to leave Rhode Island College with. I did not know what it was and was not excited about it either. I spent the entire spring semester of 2017 without knowing what Youth Development is and could not explain to anyone what it is.

Image result for youth workerAs time went by, I became knowledgeable of what YDEV is and started to love it. The more I learn about YDEV, the more my interest grew towards it. My love for Youth Development grew larger and my interest in working with youths grew even wider. I finally realized that my dream of helping children did not die, because the youth and children department served as  guidance for the future and helped me realize that is what I am more passionate about.

Image result for youth worker
Now I look more towards working with all youths rather than only less-privilege children. I would have never found my passion if my previous advisor wouldn’t have refer me. It amazes me how my brain is always thinking of a way I could improve my work space to ensure that everyone is learning in a healthy environment. 

Comments