Injustice

Image result for mapping childhood
Injustice happens to almost everyone one way or the other. It could be the simplest or the biggest thing. I have encountered injustice growing up as a child, some of which I had no control over and some I knew I had to react to. I felt as if I was the least of the others when I was not treated fairly, especially when it is obvious that everyone should receive the same treatment. An example was when my grandmother would often favorite her children and other grandchildren over my sisters and I. She would sometimes make us work before providing meals for my sisters and I, while the rest of the children would relax at home. This is few of the situations I had no control over, knowing that my mother gave out her house to her parents and we had to stay with them.

Another instance of injustice was when I tried out for cheerleading in high school. At that time, I was not the kind to easily open up to people. It would take me a while to ease up. During practices, I would struggle to fit-in because my comfort level did not give way to feel comfortable with the people around me. The captain singled me and others out on the third day of practice and told us that we are too slow in catching up with the moves and it would be better quitting. At that moment I knew I had to say something, but I couldn’t get myself to speak out. I left as if I was not given the chance to get to know myself more and to decide within myself if I could do it or couldn’t.  Instead of saying something, I walked away and decided to do sport, which turned out to be a success.


Now with some time and hindsight, I still wouldn’t say anything to my grandmother, because it would be consider as disrespectful to talk back or to talk at an older person. However, I would stand up to the leader of the cheerleading team and speak to her that everyone deserves a chance to experience what they have never done before and as a leader, it is your responsibility to help your team learn the moves the way they learn best.

Comments

  1. Im sorry to hear that Angie and i know what that feels like , something similar happened to me .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use the cheer leading example to inspire kids to stand up for themselves, even when they are scared. Being an advocate for yourself does not come easy for everyone, but it is an important skill to have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a great story to have under your belt because you know how someone would feel and how they can fix the problem in front of them. This was something that helped you become stronger as a person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment